In 2016, we were asked to build a customized Electrician & Instrumentation (E&I) technician control system training course. Many utilities are experiencing employee turnover as aging technicians begins to retire, replaced with new and inexperienced recruits. These electricians need to become familiar with the inner workings of the DCS platform they will be supporting, to effectively troubleshoot and repair the instrumentation they support.
How We Did It
We worked closely with the utility to develop a comprehensive maintenance training manual that walks technicians through every relevant aspect of the DCS, and then we performed on-site training using the plant’s control system running in a simulation environment.
For the custom engineering and instrumentation technician training program, we created the following sample topics:
- Historian tags and trend building
- Network overview & layout
- DCS cabinet details & I/O types
- DCS system overview
- Database & drawings
- Understanding system displays
- Building trends & group displays
- Troubleshooting and navigating the DCS control building environment
- Troubleshooting common DCS & field issues
Our client’s solutions included:
- Comprehensive technician and electrician training
- Plant-specific, highly customized training manual
- Detailed training with effective troubleshooting methods
- Reduced troubleshooting time for DCS issues
- Less equipment down-time
- Improved technician effectiveness
Ultimately, we delivered comprehensive training manual, with step-by-step processes including screenshots and drawings. We also provided detailed on-site training class with a knowledgeable instructor familiar with plant details.
No matter what type of technician, engineer, or electrician, comprehensive DCS training is critical for improving employee productivity, reducing mistakes, and building an effective control system maintenance program. If you’re in need of control system training course, please contact us today.